Our Statement of Intent
The Oasis Curriculum – Our Statement of Intent
12th June, 2019
· In line with Oasis’ Education Charter, the curriculum is the heart of our academy’s educational provision. Through this - and our commitment to an exceptional climate for learning and great pedagogy - we make focused learning the foundation of every lesson. We have designed our curriculum to meet the needs of all, striving for personal as well as academic and vocational excellence. Through our curriculum we will achieve outcomes that drive social mobility and give everyone freedom of choice throughout their lives.
· The Oasis ethos and 9 Habits are a foundation stone to the design and delivery of our curriculum. We know that the development of character doesn’t happen by chance but by purpose and intention: it is therefore an explicit part of our curriculum. We therefore work hard at preparing our students to be the best version of themselves not just for today but for their futures too.
· Our curriculum has been designed to ensure our young people thrive, achieve and flourish. It enables them to understand what it is to be human and equips them for life so that they become kind and model citizens. Our curriculum not only develops our young people academically but socially, emotionally, culturally, physically and spiritually.
· Whilst our knowledge-rich curriculum is designed to ensure the very best academic outcomes for our young people using the latest research in how the brain and memory works, it is about so much more than simply securing great results. It is about our academy’s determination to achieve excellence with equity and integrity: where we bring advantage to the disadvantaged, where barriers to learning are successfully overcome and there are no limits to the achievement and ambition of our most able.
· In our academy this will mean that all children, whatever their background, starting point and life experience, develop a strong grasp of the key learning skills, attitudes and knowledge they need to make an excellent start to secondary education. This will be delivered through the crafted experiences of a stimulating, broad and balanced context-based curriculum that is not restricted to just skills and knowledge for Reading, Writing and Maths.
For the Early Years
· We will provide a curriculum based on planned, active and exploratory play and the development of physical dexterity, creativity, critical thinking, language skills and social awareness. The curriculum will provide opportunities for these children to learn to read and write, develop skills in maths, find out about the world around them and develop an understanding of art and design
· Our knowledge-rich curriculum and our commitment to the Oasis ethos and Nine Habits is supported by our Trust’s policies on Learning and Behaviour for Learning and the work of our National Lead Practitioners and Leads for Learning Innovation.
· Our commitment to providing students with a wide range of extra-curricular clubs and activities will add depth and breadth to our provision and allow our students to follow their hobbies and interests outside of the formal curriculum.