Play and exploration are at the heart of Early Years practice and children are able to interact with well-organised and resourced environments that spark their interests and allow for independence and sustained shared thinking. Environments are enhanced with a wide range of multi-sensory activities that encourage children to explore, develop skills and adapt their own learning.
We follow the Early Years Foundation Stage statutory guidance and the non-statutory Development Matters guidance which outlines child development for children from birth to three, three to four and the Reception year. This framework sets the standards for the learning, development and care of your child. Within the framework, there are 7 key learning areas:
The Statutory Framework for the Early Years Foundation Stage outlines four guiding principles that should shape Early Years practice. These are:
- Every child is a unique child, who is constantly learning and can be resilient, capable, confident, and self-assured
- Children learn to be strong and independent through positive relationships
- Children learn and develop well in enabling environments with teaching and support from adults, who respond to their individual interests and needs and help them to build their learning over time. Children benefit from a strong partnership between practitioners and parents and/or carers.
- Children develop and learn at different rates. The framework covers the education and care of all children in early years provision, including children with special educational needs and disabilities.
There are also seven key features of effective practice (Appendix 1) that underpin the Early Years ethos and are woven through the Oasis EYFS Curriculum. These are:
- The best for every child
- High quality care
- The curriculum: What we want children to learn
- Pedagogy: helping children to learn
- Assessment: checking what children have learnt
- Self-regulation and executive function
- Partnership with parents
Reception Yearly Overview
Find out what is taught weekly at Oasis Academy Putney in EYFS, here.
The Transition from Reception to Year 1
We want to make the transition from Reception to Year 1 as easy as possible for your little one. We therefore have a tried and tested process in place, ready to help each and every pupil feel at home during the move and step up in education.
- Children meet their Year 1 Class Teacher and Teaching Assistant in their new Year 1 class rooms and will enjoy some activities together.
- After this event we invite parents and carers to the Teddy Bears Picnic. An opportunity for them to meet their child’s Year 1 teacher.
- The Year 1 Teachers and Teaching Assistants will meet with Reception Teachers to discuss children individually during a handover meeting.
- Year 1 Teachers will go to Reception to read a story and have circle time with their new classes.